As we all know, oftentimes it truly does “take a village” to care for our growing children. ‘Tis the season – so you may find yourself wondering what the best or most appropriate way to thank your nanny or babysitter at the holidays might be.
Have no fear – Urban Sitter went forth to find out what kinds of tips and gifts are popular for various types of caregivers around the country, and generously provided us with their findings so that we could share them with you!
In a survey of 395 respondents from November and December 2012, the following are some highlights of the results:
What To Give the Nanny for Year End Bonus
- The most popular holiday gift for nannies is a Christmas bonus of one week’s pay.
- 97% of parents surveyed give their nanny a Christmas bonus or gift.
- Popular nanny gifts and babysitter gifts include: Gift cards to a favorite retailer or restaurant, spa items or as gift card for spa services, scarves, other handmade items, a framed photo of the kids, candles, gourmet foods such as baked goods or chocolates and fine teas.
What To Get Babysitters for Christmas
- 3 out of 4 parents surveyed give their babysitter gifts or a year end bonus for Christmas.
- Of the parents who give cash, 17% give less than $25, 39% give $25-75, and 44% give over $75.
- If you live in San Francisco, be prepared to give a bit more, as the average parent gives over $75 to the babysitter for Christmas.
- New Yorkers are likely to give the babysitter a year-end bonus of over $100!
For more in-depth and helpful information, check out this Urban Sitter infographic, based on their nationwide survey.
In this season of giving, let’s not forget the very important people whom our kids have grown to love and trust, and who care for them, too.