This summer, try some refreshing recipes starring watermelons, such as a watermelon crunch salsa, two salads featuring the fruit, watermelon rind coleslaw, and a BBQ sauce made with watermelon. All are sure to be a hit at your next barbecue or get-together.
Watermelon BBQ Sauce
Serves: Makes about 1½ cups
- ½ cup watermelon juice
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Pour enough sauce over vegetables, chicken, pork, fish, or shellfish to marinate. Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Baste with additional sauce while grilling or broiling.
Note: Sauce not used for marinating or basting can be spooned over cooked vegetables and meats.
Watermelon Mediterranean Salad
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- dash cracked black pepper
- In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except oil and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss salad mixture with oil and garnish with pepper.
Watermelon Rind Coleslaw
Serves: Makes 4 one-cup servings
- ¼ cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat sour cream
- 1½ Tablespoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups grated watermelon rind with fruit and green peel removed
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1½ cup diced fresh pineapple
- In a small bowl, blend dressing thoroughly. Set aside.
- Place watermelon rind on several layers of paper towels to soak up excess fluid.
- In a medium-sized bowl, place dressing, rind, carrot, and pineapple and toss to coat thoroughly. Serve.
Watermelon Crunch Salsa
Serves: 12-16 as a salad or salsa
- 4 cups ¼-inch cubed seedless watermelon
- 2 cups ¼-inch cubed jicama
- 1 cup ¼-inch cubed carrots
- 2 cups minced purple cabbage
- 1 cup minced sweet yellow banana or bell peppers
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 limes (juice from the fresh-squeezed limes)
- Sea salt to taste
- Prepare each ingredient and toss together just before serving.
Watermelon Pomegranate Tossed Salad
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar (Pomegranate vinegar is the best)
- 1½ Tablespoons orange zest
- 1 Tablespoon agave syrup
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon stone-ground mustard
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups baby spinach (one 6-ounce bag or carton)
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 cups diced watermelon (placed on some paper towel to drain excess fluid)
- 1 clamshell (6 ounces)
- fresh raspberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- Place juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and simmer until reduced to about 3 tablespoons, and liquid is a thick syrup. Set aside. When cool, add remaining dressing ingredients, from vinegar to salt and pepper. Whip. Set aside for flavors to blend.
Place spinach in a large serving bowl. Top with onion, watermelon, raspberries, and pomegranate seeds. Divide onto 4 salad places and drizzle with dressing.
Read Next | This Is Where to Hire an Amazing NYC Nanny
Like what you read? JOIN the Mommybites community to get the latest on FREE online classes, parenting advice, events, childcare listings, casting calls & raffles, and our Parents With Nannies Facebook group. SIGN UP NOW!