Last week I started off your holiday green gift guide with ideas for the kiddos. This week I wanted to focus on parents. Honestly, if you are at all into sustainable practices, gifts should be items that are reusable, made by and from sustainable materials/practices and be made as locally as possible. These three together are the trifecta, but it is quite difficult for some to find that perfect something that fits all of those criteria. So just keep those items in mind when shopping and try to find out more about what you are buying (don’t be afraid to ask questions & expect answers).
So without further ado, here are some of the items that any adult on your shopping list would enjoy!
Green Gift Guide for Parents
1. Spit That Out!: The Overly Informed Parent’s Guide to Raising Children in the Age of Environmental Guilt by Paige Wolf answers the questions posed by mothers on the verge of a “green mom nervous breakdown” and turns to experts to present facts, debunk myths, and help parents stay on a reasonable and responsible course without losing their minds.
2. One Less Gift Certificate – no, really!
3. Composting System by BLANCO – an easy and attractive way to make your kitchen and your garden happy.
4. Putnam Messenger Bag – 100% organic canvas exterior, pinstriped soft cotton lining. By purchasing this bag, you help UBB remove one pound of trash from our oceans and waterways around the world.
5. Organic Gourmet Food Gift Basket with Late July, Yummy Earth, Bare Fruit and more! Who doesn’t love to get a yummy, healthy food basket filled with tons of organic goodies?!
6. The Busy Parent’s Guide to Photosanity for parents who love to take photos of their kids but are frustrated with the results, and are also overwhelmed with organizing, editing and sharing.
7. My Plastic-Free Life educational gift pack – books and reusable bags. The book shares personal anecdotes, stats about the environmental and health problems related to plastic, and personal solutions and tips on how to limit your plastic footprint.
8. Goodebox Gift Subscription – Goodebox is a members only service providing expertly curated, trial-sized healthy, eco-sensitive & effective beauty and personal care products, along with occasional samples of natural & organic health and wellness products.
And don’t forget my past suggestions of charity donations and experience gifts. Those are always a hit and are great for those hard-to-buy-for recipients.
Did I leave anything off? Any other great ideas you’ve gotten or given? Please share below!
Green Parenting is published every Friday. For questions or comments, please email Elise Jones.
The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog contributor’s. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider. Writers may have conflicts of interest, and their opinions are their own.